Workshop leader Jenn Fontaine is one of a handful of people worldwide who have been personally trained and mentored by Penny Simkin and accredited to present and facilitate the When Survivors Give Birth workshop.
This important client care workshop focuses on understanding and healing the effects of childhood sexual abuse on childbearing women. This is the first time this unique training has been offered in Australia. Anyone working with childbearing women will gain knowledge and skills in this one-of-a-kind workshop, which is the culmination of decades of collaboration between Penny Simkin, PT, CCE, CD(DONA), and Phyllis Klaus, MFT, LMSW. Together they also wrote the 2004 book of the same name, When Survivors Give Birth.
- Advance your understanding of an all too common issue for childbearing women and families.
- Expand your care practices for women at risk of poor physical and psychosocial childbirth outcomes.
- Improve your response to women who express emotional concerns about childbearing.
- Definition of childhood sexual abuse (CSA) and other child abuse
- Common manifestations of any type of child abuse on the childbearing woman
- Unique manifestations of sexual abuse specifically on the childbearing woman
- Neurological and behavioural sequelae of child abuse
- Impact of childhood sexual abuse on conscious memory
- Impact of childhood sexual abuse on the adult woman
- Impact of CSA on pregnancy
- Impact of CSA on labour and birth
- Relationship between the woman and her caregiver
- Modification of common childbirth preparation techniques for CSA survivors
- Impact of CSA on postpartum recovery, breastfeeding, and postpartum mood disorders
- Self-help techniques to reduce distressing symptoms
- Counselling strategies to prepare nulliparas with fear about the upcoming birth
- Counselling after a traumatic birth
- Counselling the pregnant woman with a previous traumatic birth
When Survivors Give Birth: Understanding and Healing the Effects of Early Sexual Abuse on the Childbearing Woman
by Penny Simkin, PT, CCE, CD(DONA), and Phyllis Klaus, MFT, LMSW
This is optional, but you can pre-order and pay for this book up until 30th September, so please indicate if you wish to order on your registration form. Pre-ordered books are $50 each and will be available to collect on the day of the training. Strictly limited stock will be available at the training to purchase. Books purchased on the day will be $65 each.
The only book of its kind, When Survivors Give Birth, provides survivors and their maternity caregivers with extensive information on the prevalence and short- and long-term effects of childhood sexual abuse, emphasising its possible impact on childbearing women. Challenges in the client-caregiver relationship are thoroughly portrayed, with much practical advice for improving trust and communication as well as self-help techniques to handle abuse-related distress. Chapters on birth counselling, psychotherapy, and clinical care of survivors make this book a useful resource for survivors and all who work with them.
Copies of When Survivors Give Birth will be available for sale at the workshop.
You can pre-order your copy when you register.
Workshop leader Jenn Fontaine LCCE, FACCE, CD(DONA), BDT(DONA), HBE, PCD(DONA), CLE , Lamaze Program Director, is one of a handful of people worldwide who have been personally trained and mentored by Penny Simkin and accredited to present and facilitate the When Survivors Give Birth workshop. Jenn is a certified DONA International birth doula, a DONA International Birth Doula Trainer, and a certified Lamaze Educator and accredited Lamaze Program Director.
Jenn’s journey with birthing started with the birth of her twins in 1998. She has been a birth doula since 2003 and a childbirth educator since 2008. She has served hundreds of families through the childbearing years and had made a significant contribution to childbirth education and promoting safe and healthy birth through evidence- based practice. She trains birth doulas through DONA International and is starting a not-for-profit organisation to serve families who might not otherwise have access to doula support. Mental health is near and dear to Jenn’s heart and she provides a listening ear and resources to those in need. Jenn lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada with her husband and their four children.
Friday 16th November 2018
Registration with tea / coffee is from 8:00am and the workshop will start at 8:30am SHARP and conclude at 5:30pm.
Wollaston Conference Centre, 5 Wollaston Road, Mt Claremont
There is plenty of free parking at this venue.
The price includes tea / coffee on arrival, morning tea, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and continuous tea / coffee throughout the day.
EARLY BIRD price until 30th September 2018 is $295
From 1st October the price is $345
Add $50 for pre-ordered book to confirm your order.
Registration and Payment
To book your place in this workshop, fill in the form below and submit to Vicki Hobbs with your payment confirmation.
To avoid additional booking fees, please make your payment by direct debit to the account listed below.
You will receive confirmation once payment has been confirmed.
ACCOUNT NAME: WELL WOMAN SANCTUARY
DESCRIPTION / DETAILS – PUT YOUR NAME
If you would like more information please contact the Workshop Coordinator Vicki Hobbs by email [email protected]
Continuing Professional Development