I’ve been working with pregnant women since 2006, however I trained as a Doula / Birth Coach in 2010 with well-known author and doula Gaby Targett from “A Labour of Love” who has over 30 years experience as a doula and birthing expert here in Perth.
I feel it is really important for birthing women to have someone there to protect their sacred birthing space and provide ongoing nurturing, support and a female understanding and connection in birth.
This in no way is meant to replace the role of the father or birth partner – it is to provide assistance to both of them.
Many cultures ensure that a birthing woman is surrounded by women (doulas) who are experienced in childbirth for protection, comfort and confidence. Sometimes just having another woman there to connect with can be incredibly nurturing and increase the confidence of the birthing mother.
For me it is such an honour to be included at the birth of a woman who extends her trust in me and opens her heart and soul to someone who does not have a family connection, like her own mother for example.
I embrace this opportunity to provide unconditional support in an empathetic and loving way.
I am there for her in every capacity that I can possibly be, and I know that it is my role to provide for that couple on all levels to the best of my ability.
I feel that with my extensive qualifications and experience I can provide a really comprehensive service so that a couple can have every opportunity of having a calm, positive birth and together we can reduce the chances of interventions.
On the other hand I have a strong belief that as long as a woman is educated and knows all the risks (and not just the benefits) of medical interventions then I will fully support her choices for induction, drugs or caesarean without judgement.
I am experienced in all types of births – hospital (private and public systems), home birth, caesarean, high risk and even stillbirth.
I have also supported couples through their VBAC’s (vaginal birth after caesarean) and recognise that these couples need extra support and resources so they feel confident and educated with evidenced based information.
With the childbirth education classes that I offer, women will be fully informed and confident to make all the right decisions based on her wants and needs.
My role as your Doula / Birthing Assistant will be to provide:
- Birthing education to empower you to make confident birth choices
- One on one hypnosis if required for fear releasing and relaxation
- Continuity of support and care;
- Advice on good nutrition and exercise
- Suggest different labour and birthing positions
- Introduce natural pain relief methods
- Reassurance and encouragement with positive affirmations;
- Breathing and relaxation techniques;
- Working through emotional blocks as they present;
- Maintain the special “birthing environment”;
- Massage and Acupressure points;
- Support for the birth partner so they can take a break without feeling guilty or anxious;
- Help you to prepare a simple but effective birth plan;
- Photo’s when appropriate;
- An extensive book, CD & DVD library resource;
- Unlimited email and phone support;
As part of my doula package you will have the opportunity to use the CUB (Comfortable Upright Birth), which will enable you to labour and birth comfortably in an upright position. To find out more about the CUB check out the video on the CUB website:
CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO WATCH THE VIDEO
For more information about my doula package please email me [email protected]