The role of a postpartum doula changes each session as the needs of the family change.
As a Postpartum Doula I do whatever a mother and her partner needs to best enjoy and care for their baby.
A large part of my role is education.
I will share information about baby care with parents, as well as teach partners how they can best help and support the newborn mother.
I can assist with breastfeeding and sleep education and ensure that the mother is fed nutritional and healthy food, is well hydrated and comfortable especially if she is recovering from a caesarean birth.
I will also introduce essential oils into the home and provide training so the mother will enjoy her postpartum healing experience and be confident in using essential oils on a regular basis for the whole family.
The advantage of having a postpartum doula is to give parents encouragement and non-judgemental support in their own ability to parent their new baby. Their confidence will grow quickly, so they will be able to relax and enjoy this wonderful new family dynamic.
As the euphoria from the oxytocin high of the birth subsides and reality that you are now a parent sets in, my goal as a postpartum doula is to guide you through that daunting new role as parents, particularly if this is your first baby. Babies don’t come with an instruction booklet, and you will learn by trusting your instincts and experiences, but it can be more beneficial and less stressful to have a Postpartum Doula there to guide and support you.
As you experience success and your knowledge and self-confidence grows, your needs for professional support will become less.
I offer the following services as a Postpartum Doula:
- 1 antenatal meeting where I will help you prepare your birth preferences prior to birth;
- 6 postnatal visits (usually weekly) to support during the transitional period from hospital to home;
- 6 homemade nourishing meals with recipes;
- 6 week loan of Superfood Nutrition Extractor system so that you can prepare healthy and nutritious smoothies to increase energy and ensure daily nutrients requirements are met.
- Reassuring and supporting the mother physically, mentally and emotionally;
- Help with establishing feeding (breast or bottle);
- Support during times of stress and uncertainty;
- Providing techniques for rest and relaxation;
- Hypnosis or meditation sessions for relaxation;
- Aromatherapy relaxation massage for mum;
- Baby massage and instructions so mum and dad can massage;
- Education on using essential oils safely for everyday remedies;
- Positive affirmations and coaching;
- Mothers Postpartum Group – 1 morning per month for 6 months;
- Extensive book, CD & DVD library resource;
- Unlimited email and phone support;
My name is Vicki Hobbs and I am a Childbirth Educator (Back to Basics Birthing), Hypnobirthing Australia Practitioner, Remedial Massage Therapist specialising in Pregnancy Massage, Birth & Postpartum Doula, Certified Placenta Encapsulator, Hypnotherapist, Aromatherapist, Reiki Practitioner and Life Coach. I am based in the northern suburbs of Perth and can be contacted by email by firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (08) 9303 9111.